December 7, 2012

December 7, 2012

It’s that time of year again!  I bet you think I’m talking about the holidays?  Nope, I’m talking about the Season of Eating.  There are typically two trains of thought when it comes to December: 
1)  YESSS!!  It’s the holidays; I’m SOOO ditching my diet and am going to eat, eat, eat and not think about ANYTHING healthy until January 1st!   Cookies, parties, yummy treats – Yahoooo!
And
2)  OH NOOO…it’s the holidays…TOO.  MUCH.  GOOD.  FOOD.  How am I going to get through this???  Cookies, parties, yummy treats, oh my.
This is my 2nd Season of Eating since I started my healthy lifestyle and I have another train of thought:  Bring on the season!  I’m ready and I have a plan!
Yes, you can look at it one of the above two ways, but both carry along with them some type of guilt whether you end up feeling guilty on January 1st or you feel guilty every single time you eat something you shouldn’t have…and guilt is awful!  It’s the most horrible feeling and it’s completely counter-productive and quite honestly who needs self-destruction like that???!
First, don’t stress.  This time of year is stressful enough.  Second, have a plan.  It’s not too late or too early to figure out how you’re going to meet these obstacles and temptations head on.  You may have your own plan, but I also wanted to share mine with you.
I’ve said it before:  don’t look at this time of year as a whole season of free-for-all eating.  If you really break down the whole month, there are probably only a few days when there are going to be big temptations.  Not every day is a day to celebrate with food.  Maybe a few office parties or friendly get-togethers, and probably only one or two family gatherings, right?  Make those your days to splurge.  I’m certainly NOT going to tell you not to enjoy food.  Let’s face it, this time of year is, for most of us, the only time when we make and/or receive special treats we reserve for this time of year -  ENJOY THEM.  Just enjoy fewer or less of them.
I also have a workout plan in place.  I work out almost every other day of the year anyway, and I enjoy it immensely. I’m not going to put that on the back burner, especially now.  I will continue to make it a priority.  It’s SO very important to keep your momentum going so that you don’t have to try to start back up again in January.  I love this quote:  If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up.  You need your workouts for those extra cookies, but also for good mental health!  Counteract the craziness of the season with some really great workouts like walking and hiking if the weather permits, or trying some new workouts – the internet is filled with tons of different videos of things to try.  I’ve even walked in place while I’m watching a movie!  The bottom line:  do something.  Just get up and move -  you will feel better, I promise!
I’m starting off the month 45lbs lighter and I couldn’t be more proud of myself.  I am not worried about the holidays at all, bring them on!  I’m going to enjoy them and I’m certainly NOT going to feel guilt.  Because I’ve got my plan…and I know you’re going to get yours.
No matter how you celebrate your holidays, I hope they are happy, healthy and most importantly, filled with love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment