February 17, 2012

February 17, 2012

Since starting this blog, I have had a lot of ideas of things I wanted to add that I thought would be interesting to people.  Obviously, I started with the recipes because everyone loves food.  But as the blog and I have progressed, I had thoughts to add a photo journal of my beginning weight and subsequent milestones as I’ve reached them.  My first thought was to start at my 25lb loss and then go from there.  Well, that’s been my plan for a month now and as you can see, there are no photos yet…I didn’t think it would happen this soon, but I’ve remained at the same exact weight for almost 2 ½ weeks now…I’ve hit the dreaded “plateau.”  Not sure why I added quotations there, it literally is a plateau.  I’ve lost 19lbs so far and for the past two weeks, I haven’t lost a thing…not even an ounce. 
The crazy thing is that in my past attempts to lose weight - and believe me there have been many – I don’t remember a plateau.  You know why?  Because most likely I had given up by that point.  Perhaps if I had even gotten to a plateau, I probably wouldn’t have wanted to work that hard anymore anyway…I mean what’s the point, right? 

But this time is so much different.  I want this for so many different reasons but mainly because I want to live a healthy life.  And here’s the other crazy thing:  at this point, I actually think it’s kind of comical…because I honestly do not know what more I can do.  This new lifestyle makes me so happy.  I work out at least 5 times a week and I love it; I mean, I LOVE it.  And I count every calorie that I consume.  My calories IN are always less calories than I’m putting OUT, sometimes by 1,000 calories.  It's been frustrating and confusing and head-scratching; I’ve joked that it actually IS rocket science!! 

I guess the reason I can joke about it is that while it IS a frustrating bump, it isn't going to derail me.  My entire day is planned around when I’m going to work out and what I will be eating that day.  Being healthy has truly become my part time job…in all honesty, it’s probably become my other full time job.  Because I’m THAT consumed and driven; but it's a job I'm enjoying.

I've noticed that my clothes are fitting better and THAT is a measurement of success and it does make me happy and feel great.  But why do we rely on that stupid scale as the be-all, end-all when it comes to success?
So for the past few weeks, I’ve researched all kinds of information about weight loss plateaus from WebMD to the Mayo Clinic and guess what they’ve said that I do?  The exact thing that I’m doing or have tried:  work out more, vary your workout, eat less, eat more…So, you see?  I really have to laugh and just hope that next week that #$%* scale bestows upon this loyal subject a number that makes me happier.  My motto this month:  Just Keep Going.

No comments:

Post a Comment